A new year means a new blog series!
Last year I tried a Project Pan and for the most part it was very successful! Except for when it came to the makeup products. I got very bored of using the same three products so eventually I just stopped using them. So to help curb that boredom, I am trying something new this year: a monthly Shop My Stash!
What is a Shop My Stash?
It’s exactly what it sounds like. Every month, I will be going into my makeup collection and – you guessed it – I will shop my stash. 🙂 Just think of it as a haul post but instead of makeup I bought at Sephora or at Shoppers Drug Mart, it’s a haul straight from my own collection! And I’m hoping that by doing this monthly, I won’t get bored of the products I chose like I did in last year’s Project Pan.
Why Shop My Stash?
The reason why I wanted to start doing this is the following:
- My collection is too big and I need to start using more things up! More empties and more pans hit will be a glorious thing. I don’t know about you but I always feel accomplished when I hit pan or finish something.
- Knowing what I own. I don’t know about you but there have been times where I have forgotten that I owned something! I would like to get to know my collection and avoid buying duplicates of things.
- Rediscovery. Related to number 2. I know I own many products that I once loved but forgotten about. I would like to make those rediscoveries of old faves!
- Helps with the “no buy” attempts. I am hoping that by going through my existing stash and rediscovering products I already own will help curb my urges to go shopping. I don’t really need anything at this point so I would like to avoid spending money when I don’t have to!
- To save money. See point 4. Saving money is always a good thing!
How Shop My Stash Works
Every month I will take one or two of these types of products and put them in a basket.
- Face primer
- Color correction
- Foundation / BB Cream
- Setting powder
- Pore reducer
- Eye primer
- Eye shadow (palette or singles)
- Brow setting gel
- Mascara primer
- Setting Spray
If you haven’t noticed, I did not include any lip products (lipstick, lipgloss, etc.) to my list. This is because they are already in rotation in my purse. I change them around a lot so I didn’t think they needed special attention like the rest of these products!
At the end of each month I will have to make a few decisions: keep the product, continue using it (for those holy grail products I must always use) or get rid of it. I’m hoping that by doing this I can help identify my loves and get rid of what I don’t want anymore. I hope that I can get my collection under control.
Don’t get me wrong, though. I am not going to be limited to only using what’s in my basket. If there’s something I want to use then by all means, I will! The basket is just there to help give me something to focus on that month.
Then at the end of the month, I will summarize my monthly basket (what I loved, what I didn’t love, etc.) and then I will pick out a new basket of products!
Shop My Stash for January & February 2017
So let’s get started! Here is the lineup for January and February. The reasoning behind having the same basket for two months is because I spent most of January just trying to figure out how I wanted this to work. By carrying it over into February, it gives me a chance to really try everything in my basket. After February, the baskets will be monthly. Here’s the lineup for the first installment!
- Face Primers: Too Faced Primed & Poreless Skin Smoothing Face Primer , Too Faced Primed & Poreless Pure Oil-Free Skin Smoothing Face Primer, MAKE Moonlight Primer
- Pore Reducer: Maybelline Baby Skin
- Concealers: COVERGIRL Outlast All-Day Concealer in Light , Maybelline Superstay Better Skin Concealer in Light/Medium
- Color Correction: Make Up Forever Step 1 Redness Correcting Primer
- Foundation/BB Cream: IT Cosmetics Your Skin But Better CC+ Color Correcting Full Coverage Cream + Anti-Aging Hydrating Serum + SPF50 in Tan, Neutrogena Healthy Skin Liquid Makeup SPF 20 in Fresh Beige, NARS Pure Radiant Tinted Moisturizer in St. Moritz
- Blush: Wet n Wild Color Icon Blusher in Pearlescent Pink, Mellow Face Blush in Bronze
- Highlighter: City Color Highlight Trio, Benefit Watts Up! Softfocus Highlighter for Face
- Setting Powder: Laura Mercier Invisible Loose Setting Powder
- Eye Primers: Too Faced Shadow Insurance Anti-Creas Eye Shadow Primer, Elizabeth Mott Thank Me Later Eye Shadow Primer
- Eyeliners: Ciate Fierce Flicks Liquid Eyeliner, IT Cosmetics No-Tug Waterproof Gel Eyeliner
- Brows: IT Cosmetics Brow Power Universal Eyebrow Pencil, Annabelle Brow-To-Go Brow Shaping Kit
- Brow Setting Gel: MAC Cosmetics Brow Set in Translucent
- Mascara Primer: Wet n Wild PhotoFocus Lash Primer
- Mascaras: Elizabeth Arden Grand Entrance Mascara, Guerlain Maxi Lash Intense Volume Mascara
- Eyeshadows: tarte Tartelette Palette, Too Faced Chocolate Bar Palette, ColourPop Super Shock Shadow in Alchemy
- Setting Spray: Urban Decay All Nighter Makeup Setting Spray
So there you go! The first installment of my Shop My Stash series for 2017! These products should be more than enough variety for this month…. well, to be perfectly honest, I have already been using this basket of goods for half of January and I’m pleased with how it’s going so far. I hope this will help me use up my products and I would be happy to come out with a couple of empties! Not quite a “Project Pan” per se but still an attempt to use up what I have!
Check back in a month to see how it went and to see a new basket of products. 🙂
Have you tried shopping your stash before? What sorts of things did you redicsover? Thinking about doing the same? Share your thoughts in the comments below!
Until next month! Stay true to your Shop My Stash basket. 😉