Howdy everyone! Yes, I do realize that it’s the middle of October already and I still haven’t posted this month’s Shop My Stash and September’s recap. All with good reason, of course. Which will all be explained below…
First off, October was actually a tough one for me to put a basket together for. This was mostly because I have so much on the go in terms of open products that I actually really like and use on the daily. Hence why I’m not in a huge rush with September’s recap as I’m still using the majority of it right now! I think this is a good thing. It only means that I’m finding things that I love and that my collection is being used and is in essence shrinking… which was the goal I had set myself when I started my Shop My Stash series in the first place!
I’m going to tell you right now – don’t expect October’s basket to be chock full of products. In fact, I only have six items in it. I will explain as we go along…
What is a Shop My Stash?
It’s exactly what it sounds like. Every month, I will be going into my makeup collection and – you guessed it – I will shop my stash. ? Just think of it as a haul post but instead of makeup I bought at Sephora or at Shoppers Drug Mart, it’s a haul straight from my own collection! And I’m hoping that by doing this monthly, I won’t get bored of the products I chose like I did in last year’s Project Pan.
If you’re interested, you can find my other Shop My Stash posts here.
How Shop My Stash Works… and an Update!
If you have been following along, you are aware that every month, I take one or two products of a certain type (be it eyeshadow, primer or mascara) and put them in a basket. As we are into Month #10, I found a need to modify this a little bit. First off, in addition to the product categories that are still on the go, I am breaking down the list of product types into the following categories, as well:
- Success! – This category consists of the products where I no longer have many different products for. Because of that, I no longer need to use up products on a rotation schedule. There is only one or a couple left in these categories.
- Working On It! But On Hold For Now… – There were some categories where I still have to work on my stash but there are currently a number of products that I like and are open and in use. In order to give myself a chance to use the open items, I have put a freeze on these categories until it’s time to use something new. I will start these up again in the near future once I finish up some of my products that are on the go.
If you haven’t noticed, I did not include any lip products (lipstick, lipgloss, etc.) to my list. This is because they are already in rotation in my purse. I change them around a lot so I didn’t think they needed special attention like the rest of these products!
At the end of each month I will have to make a few decisions: keep the product, continue using it (for those holy grail products I must always use) or get rid of it. I’m hoping that by doing this I can help identify my loves and get rid of what I don’t want anymore. I hope that I can get my collection under control.
Don’t get me wrong, though. I am not going to be limited to only using what’s in my basket. If there’s something I want to use then by all means, I will! The basket is just there to help give me something to focus on that month.
Then at the end of the month, I will summarize my monthly basket (what I loved, what I didn’t love, etc.) and then I will pick out a new basket of products!
Shop My Stash for October 2017
Here’s the skinny. The skinny basket, that is. There are only six products in this month’s basket. And I want it to be clear… I have been using all of these since October 1st!
- Face primer: Wet n’ Wild PhotoFocus Face Primer
- Foundation / BB Cream: Wet n’ Wild PhotoFocus Foundation in Cream Beige, Maybelline Super Stay Better Skin Powder in Natural Beige
- Setting Spray: Wet n’ Wild PhotoFocus Setting Spray
top row: blushes in the shades rose spritz, amaretto and pamplemousse
bottom row: highlighters in champagne pop and prosecco pop
- Blush and Highlighter: BECCA Jaclyn Hill Champagne Collection Face Palette featuring three blushes and two highlighters
left to right: silk sheets, spoiled sexy, bold bling, haute couture, patent leather, wild nights
left to right: satin seduction, gold status, mink magnet, big spender, made of jade, dusk ’til dawn
- Eye shadow (palette or singles): Buxom Custom 6-Pan Eyeshadow Bar Palettes (that I got for, I believe $20 each when Sephora had them on sale online)
It’s quite the mix of Wet n’ Wild this month! And even though I am just posting this now, I have been using these since October 1st. 🙂
Well, now that I’ve gone through what’s in my basket, I thought I would write a quick summary of the product categories which I have been successful in finally getting under control! I still have two months left in the Shop My Stash 2017 series and I was planning on doing a HUGE recap in January but things are already so different from how things were in January that I thought I’d do a quick update now.
These categories of products are pretty much under control now. If something new comes into my collection, I can easily decide what to do with it because I know what’s in my collection. I can decide to try it and keep it or just sell or give it away if I don’t need it. This is great progress!
As of the end of September 2017, seven out of the 17 categories have been a success! It’s a great feeling! 🙂 Here they are:
- Color Corrector – I didn’t have many of these in the first place so this one was a quick win!
- Concealer – I have finished going through what I have in my stash and there haven’t been any new concealers introduced to it or purchased. I’m only using the ones that I love right now. 🙂
- Setting Powder – Similar to concealers, I’m only using what I love now.
- Pore Reducer – I am down to one: Benefit’s The POREfessional
- Eye Primer – I only have a handlful of the ones that I love left in my collection and I plan on using them all!
- Brow Setting Gel – I’m also down to one with this one! In fact, I just finished my MAC Setting Gel and have moved on to the Pixi Beauty Brow Tamer
- Mascara Primer – Again, I’m down to one with this one. I finished my tarte Opening Act deluxe sample and I’m using my deluxe sample of Dior’s Diorshow Maximizer primer which has always been my favourite of all time in this category.
Working On It! But On Hold For Now…
There were some categories where I know I still have some work to do to trim down my stash but I have a number of open products that I like and really want to use. In order to give myself a chance to use these items, I have essentially put the following categories on hold. I will start these up again when I’m ready.
- Bronzer – This is an odd one – the only reason this one is “on hold” is because my skin is still a couple of shades darker from the summer. I still have no need for bronzer right now.
And that’s it for October! Apologies again for getting this up late. I really was trying to figure things out for awhile there. But I did figure it out and I know what I’m doing with this initiative again.
Hope you’re still enjoying this series! Let me know about your thoughts and suggestions in the comments below. 🙂